Friday 21 November, 2014
Headline

Indo-Canada Nuclear Accord

The Indo- Canada Civil Nuclear Accord which was announced on 28 NOV 2009, after meeting between our Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and his Canadian counterpart Stephan Harper, on the sidelines of the Commonwealth Heads Of Government Meeting in Port Of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, is not merely a pre-cursor of a civilian nuclear deal, which would be finalized in the forthcoming tour of our PM to Canada will be a “turning point” in bilateral relationship of both countries. It will be more than a “diplomatic handshake”, paving way for a wide gamut of bilateral co-operation between the two nations, which from the very beginning itself, have a very deep and dynamic relationship due to “common values and shared tradition of democracy, the rule of law, pluralism and strong people to people contact”.

Quite A Big Deal !!

Our civil nuclear co-operation and bilateral relations with Canada are very interesting to analyze, as history is the evidence that both are protagonist to each other and both work in resonance to each other. It would not be exaggeration to state that both are the two facets of the same coin in regard to India. If we search the pages of history we will find that we had a very good bilateral relations  with Canada from the very beginning which started deteriorating after India test fired her first nuclear Bomb in 1974. The fact that flabbergast all of us is that consequent improvement in our bilateral relations with Canada is again due to a nuclear issue, but the astonishing fact is that, this time it is for a peaceful purpose i.e. Indo-Canada Civil Nuclear Co-operation.

Canada has been one of our most trusted and most co-operative friend in the international arena. Our beginning in civil nuclear sector was initiated by Canada, when in 1963 and 1966, Canada gave us two CANDU (Canada Deuterium Uranium) Reactor. Canada also promised to give us CIRUS. Moreover, till today, we are using cloned version of the same 2 CANDU  Reactors. One more interesting fact to note is that, only India and Canada  are the only countries in the world which use Heavy Water Technology, so this deal will be more beneficial for India as compared to Nuclear Deal signed with 7 other countries till today, which are USA, France, Russia, Argentina, Kazakhstan, Mongolia, Namibia because both the countries use same nuclear technology which is not the case with other countries. Moreover, we also have to consider that Canada is the biggest exporter of Uranium in the world. Even though we have signed nuclear co-operation agreement with 7 countries, only France has sent us the First Consignment of Nuclear Fuel and due to consequent lack of availability of nuclear fuel, out of all civil nuclear installations in India, only 3 are now working efficiently i.e. having a Comparison Utilisation Factor (i.e. Cf ) of more than 68.5 %.The added benefit of this accord is that Canada is ready to provide nuclear fuel to India right after the Civil Nuclear Deal is ratified by both countries.

In terms of technology transfer, this deal has many things to offer to both countries which would further augment our bilateral and economic relations. Since, we are expected to face energy crisis in the forthcoming future as most of our energy generation is from depleting non-renewable sources of energy, Canada can help us to solve our energy crisis by providing advanced nuclear technology along with nuclear fuel. We also have to consider that we are planning to import nuclear reactors upto 20,000 MW of capacity in next 10 years. Since, Canada is the 5th largest producer of energy in the world, which gives importance to renewable sources of energy, Canada can then also help us in solar, wind and bio-fuel energy and municipal waste management. In short, Canada can help us in generating sustainable and alternative energy and environment technologies which can ultimately help us in fighting Global Warming. Canada can also help us in water resource management as she is the pioneer in this field and maximum amount of potable water in world is found in Canada. Further, help can be sought in the field of earth science and disaster management as a whole. Besides, Canada is one of the pioneers in the fields of bio-technology, health sciences, bio-medical engineering, nano-sciences and nano-medicine, which can help us a lot. Canada has a lot to offer in automobile industry as for example, BOMBARDIER which is a Canadian firm, is coach manufacturer for Delhi Metro. Besides this, the IT and multi-media industry of Canada has a plethora of opportunities to offer. This deal will pave way for multi-sectoral co-operation between India and Canada.

On the other hand, in the age of globalization, since the bilateral relations are now being governed by economic co-operations, and in this sector Canada has a plethora of avenues to offer. According to 2008 data, bilateral trade between the 2 countries was US $ 4.62 billion, whereas Canada’s export to India was US $ 2.42 billion and import form India was US $ 2.2. billion. Canada accounts for  1.2 % of India  total exports and 0.9 % of India’s total imports, where 5 major thrust areas are:- Power, Energy and Environment Product and Services, Oil and Gas, Telecommunication and IT and Financial Sector ( including insurance ). India is Canada’s largest trading partner in South Asia, and is Canada’s 18th largest export market. Indian FDI in Canada by software manufactures and other industries is sure to increases rapidly as Canada has now removed overseas investment ceiling of US $ 100 million. Canadian FDI in India reached Cdn $ 144 million and Indian FDI in Canada has now reached Cdn $ 29 million. Our foreign exchange earning from Canadian tourists is also increasing day by day.

Canada has many things to offer in the educational sector as well as it offers as many fellowships to students as U.S.A. offers and has some of the best colleges and universities in the world. In a nutshell, both countries have potential for mutual financial gains after ratifying the said deal.

Besides this, Canada can help us in fighting terrorism with advanced intelligence sharing and other means. Moreover, Canada can be a trusted partner in diplomacy at the international arena such as UNO, IAEA, NSG et al. For example, Canada supported us in unequivocal terms in IAEA and NSG when we had to take approval from IAEA and clear cut waiver from NSG.

Since, more than 1 million Canadians are of Indian ancestry, there lies a strong people to people contact, which can further foster cultural exchange to strengthen our bond of friendship.

To sum up, this nuclear co-operation agreement will prove to be a “milestone” in the forthcoming future and it will initiate a new era of bilateral co-operation between the two nations. It is a “Win-Win Situation” for both the countries. Hope this deal will be signed and ratified as soon as possible!!!

What Next?

Related Articles

33 Responses to "Indo-Canada Nuclear Accord"

1. Suraj Singh says:

awesome

2. Mohnish Sinha says:

3. Sunny says:

It is highly informative

4. Mohnish Sinha says:

5. Very good post, I’m a huge believer in placing comments on websites to assist the blog authors know that they have added something worthwhile to the internet!

6. I find myself coming to your blog more and more often to the point where my visits are almost daily now!

7. Dr. Shabique says:

It is simply fabulous.
    Mr. Mohnish Sinha, u have done a great job

8. Mohnish says:

@ watches replica

9. Mohnish says:

Thanks everyone

10. Legal Sounds says:

Wow!, this was a top quality post. In theory I’d like to write like this too – taking time and real effort to make a good article… but what can I say… I procrastinate a lot and never seem to achieve anything

11. Mohnish Sinha says:

12. black shoes says:

I would like to express my appreciation for your post. That’s really great to know that there are such people like you who do their job very well and with such enthusiasm.

13. Mohnish Sinha says:

14. Mohnish Sinha says:

I am grateful to u that u read my article.Kindly, feel free to send ur suggestions.
    U can also write to me at mohnishsinha2009@gmail.com

15. Valera5 says:

Are you a professional journalist? You write very well.

16. Mohnish Sinha says:

What is the difference between Valera2 and Valera5, because there are two comments from Valera. Are u the same person? As per ur question is concerned,YES I am a professional journalist. U can also write to me at mohnishsinha2009@gmail.com.
    Keep smiling!!!!!!

17. Tejinder says:

Nice post man,it had excited me to learn more about nuclear physics.

18. Tarun says:

Good one!!!!!!

19. Mohnish says:

20. Mohnish says:

21. lol quite a few of the remarks people post crack me up, sometimes i contemplate if they in actual fact read the content pages and content before writing a comment or whether or not they actually read the title of the article and pen the initial thought that drifts into their heads. regardless, it is really relaxing to read through keen commentary occasionally compared to the same exact, traditional oppinion vomit which i regularly notice on the web

22. Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for a related topic, your site came up, it looks good.

23. Mohnish says:

24. Mohnish says:

I am grateful to u that u read my article
    I will be thankful to u if u could point out specific areas where I have to improve to become a good author

25. L.K.Pandey says:

Dear Mohnish!!
    After reading your article, I am extremely happy that you are able to analyse Nuclear Issues in such an analytical way..
    I also want to know whats your view-point on Indo-US Nuclear Deal!! Kindly, forward your views. I will be grateful to you for this act of kindness.

26. Mohnish Sinha says:

Thank you Mr. L.K. Pandey
    Yeah, you are right, Nuclear Politics is my favourite subject. Besides, I also like doing research work on Strategic Affairs.
    Dear Mr. L.K. Pandey,
    Analysing Indo-US Nuclear Deal from all perspective is a long drawn process and will take time. So, if you are really interested about that, then kindly send me a mail on mohnishsinha2009@gmail.com and then I will forward you my research report on the concerned subject.

27. scuba diving says:

Great Post. I add this Post to my bookmarks.

28. Mohnish Sinha says:

Dear scuba diving,
    I am really grateful to you that you read my article. For an author, the greatest victory is when his/ her readers read his/her articles and then really get satisfied with it. As per you comment is concerned, I think I have achieved victory. I request you to keep on reading articles on different topics so as to increase you knowledge and entertain yourself. You can also write to me at mohnishsinha2009@gmail.com.

Thank you!!!!!

29. Ashfaq Ahmed says:

I can deliver leased instruments to Organisations or individuals with their
    preferred text verbiage as been approved by their bankers. We also proffersales
    option to interested buyers. Our terms and procedures are so flexible and
    workable by RWA clients. Our lease rate is (5.5+0.5)%+x%. X% IS Lesseebroker’s
    Commission and he determines his commission. Also we have facilities todiscount
    BG and Put you into PPP Trading.
    Contact me through this
    email;
    businessfundinginvestments02@
    gmail.com,ahmedkan66@yahoo.com or through
    skype: in other to furnish you with other information

30. Gday, can any person vouch for a method to stop this site from showing a javascript message in IE9? Thanks